"Ask Debra" (2008)
The CLS mission is to create the industry standard in corporate and government law department and law firm practice by combining best practices in business process improvement, content and technology to enhance efficiencies and productivity as well as to promote consistent work quality. CLS is focused on developing, delivering, and partnering with legal executives to drive superior legal performance.
CLS developed a solution framework to address the major challenges facing law departments, as reported in a survey conducted by the Association of Corporate Counsel. These include:
Recognizing the need for industry consensus on process and metrics standards, CLS recruited key industry leaders and spearheaded the creation of the Open Legal Standards Initiative (OLSI) to help bring industry best practices to law departments.
- reducing outside legal costs
- keeping apprised of company activities that may have legal implications
- too much work for too little resources / legal budget
- staying apprised of changes in the law
- technology to improve internal efficiency of the law department and work with outside counsel
OLSI is a nonprofit organization whose committees have developed the first ever uniform classification of legal business processes, best practices for executing those processes, and consistent methodologies for capturing and calculating standardized performance metrics.